The Right Honourable Jacob Rees-Mogg is the Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council. He was appointed as Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons on 23 July 2019.
He was first elected as the Member of Parliament for North East Somerset in May 2010. Since then he has been a member of the Exiting the European Union, Treasury, Procedure and European Scrutiny select committees. Before becoming an MP Mr Rees-Mogg worked in the City, having co-founded investment management firm Somerset Capital Management in 2007.
The role and responsibilities
The Lord President:
- presides at Privy Council meetings, including any Emergency Privy Councils
- considers for approval a number of Statutory Orders concerning Health Care, Veterinary, and Scottish Higher Education matters
- as a member of the Privy Council Committee for the Affairs of Jersey and Guernsey, reviews Laws and Orders relating to the Islands, and makes recommendations to Her Majesty concerning their approval
- deals with Ministerial correspondence and Parliamentary Questions relating to Privy Council Business, such as the appointment of High Sheriffs
- determines cases, where the Lord President acts as University Visitor, in a private capacity.