The Lord President:
- Presides at Privy Council meetings, including any Emergency Privy Councils.
- Considers for approval a number of Statutory Orders concerning Health Care, Veterinary, and Scottish Higher Education matters.
- As a member of the Privy Council Committee for the Affairs of Jersey and Guernsey, reviews Laws and Orders relating to the Islands, and makes recommendations to Her Majesty concerning their approval.
- Deals with Ministerial correspondence and Parliamentary Questions relating to Privy Council Business, such as the appointment of High Sheriffs.
- Determines cases, where the Lord President acts as University Visitor, in a private capacity.